The medical power of light
How To Win Fight With Nail Mycosis
Non-invasive treatment for toe nails suffering from fungal disease (onychomycosis). This is a very common problem especially in the summer months when we spend time in public swimming pools. The cause of the disease are skin molds that benefits from a humid and warm environment and thus have ideal conditions for survival. Mycosis mainly affects the toenails and rarely occurs on the hand nails. It can also be caused by untreated skin mycosis on the feet, which spreads further and penetrates into the toe nails. First, the thumb is affected, and later it penetrates into other nails. It spreads first from the edge of the nail and gradually passes to the nail bed.
How does nail mycosis manifest?
A typical symptom is a change of color and structure of the nail. The damaged nail is yellowed, coarsened and starts to peel.
What are the causes?
As the molds love moisture and heat, mycosis is enhanced by increased sweating of the feet, wearing non-breathable footwear and socks made of synthetic materials. It is as well very often present by swimming pools, dressing rooms or even in the sauna. There is also a risk of infection when sharing shoes with a person with mycosis.
Fotona OnychoClearSteps is a revolutionary method for treating onychomycosis in a patientfriendly, quick and effective way with Nd:YAG laser light. Laser light heats evenly throughout the depth of effected nail and skin tissue, effectively weakening and killing parasitic fungi which have infected the patient’s nail.
How does OnychoClearSteps work?
Deep, pulse-profile heating of the nail bed stimulates the killing of parasitic fungus. The natural growth and immune processes of the body are then able to restore the nail to its pristine state. Compared to traditional methods the effects of laser light spread evenly throughout the tissue and are not subject to either the limits of chemical diffusion, as are topicals, or the induction of hepatoxic side effects, as is the case with oral medications.
The procedure can be performed in 3 simple steps:
- Step 1: File down the Nail. During onychomycosis the nail will become deformed and overgrown, it may also thicken. Filing down the nail allows laser light to fully penetrate into the treatment site.
- Step 2: Administer Nd:YAG laser pulses in a circular pattern covering the entire nail. Slightly overlap the beam so that the nail is fully covered. The patient should feel a slight heating sensation throughout the nail.
- Step 3: Target Nd:YAG laser pulses around the perimeter of the nail bed and around the finger or toe. Often parasitic fungus has worked its way beyond the nail bed and needs to be eliminated in all the tissue surrounding the nail to prevent recurrence.
The treatment is usually performed 4 times at 1 week intervals. All of the nails should be treated, during every treatment, just in case. Laser light can also effectively treat fungus which has infected skin tissue.
Fotona Nd:YAG lasers are equipped with technology, enabling laser energy to penetrate deeply into the skin to create thermal effects without damaging the skin surface. Compared to conventional Nd:YAG technologies, Fotona’s proprietary VSP pulses (Variable Square Pulse) create virtually instantaneous temperature increases that are limited to the targeted structures only; no unnecessary energy is deposited into the skin.
Prior to surgery patient must have all ointments, creams and nail polish removed from the nails and skin. The patient is not anyhow limited in normal activities after treatment and can return to work immediately. It is recommended to regularly disinfect his/her shoes to prevent the re-apearance of infection, to focus more on foot hygiene, to use one particular towel, to use suitable shoes in the common areas of swimming pools and last but not least to wear cotton socks.
Benefits of OnychoClearSteps
- Complete fungal elimination
- No chemicals or oral medication -tTherefore, no dangerous side effects as there are with conventional treatments
- Stimulates the natural growth and immune processes of the body
- Extremely fast, effective and easy to perform
- Safe and patient-friendly treatment